This map of New Jersey appeared in General Atlas for Carey’s Edition of Guthrie’s Geography Improved, published in Philadelphia in 1795. The map extends from the Delaware River to the Atlantic Ocean and indicates the state’s principal towns, roads, and counties, as well as mountains, rivers, and the bordering states of New York, Pennsylvania, and Delaware. The map shows the counties of Bergen, Burlington, Cape May, Cumberland, Essex, Gloucester, Hunterdon, Middlesex, Monmouth, Morris, Salem, Somerset, and Sussex. The map was engraved in 1795 by William Barker (active 1795‒1803). Samuel Lewis (1753 or 1754–1822), a Philadelphia draftsman, delineated the “Division line of East and West Jersey.” Trenton, shown on the map on the Delaware River northeast of Philadelphia, became the capital of all of New Jersey in 1790. Mathew Carey (1760–1839) was an immigrant from Ireland who worked as a publisher in Philadelphia, specializing in maps, atlases, and works of geography. In 1795 he issued the first atlas published in the United States, the American Atlas. Early American publishers such as Carey were not restricted by international copyright agreements and reused European sources to print extensive atlases and geography texts. Carey combined William Guthrie’s European maps, originally published in London in 1770, with updated maps of the United States to produce Guthrie’s Geography Improved. The map is from the Rochambeau Collection at the Library of Congress, which consists of 40 manuscript maps, 26 printed maps, and a manuscript atlas that belonged to Jean-Baptiste-Donatien de Vimeur, comte de Rochambeau (1725‒1807), commander in chief of the French expeditionary army (1780‒82) during the American Revolution. Some of the maps were used by Rochambeau during the war. Dating from 1717 to 1795, the maps cover much of eastern North America, from Newfoundland and Labrador in the north to Haiti in the south. The collection includes maps of cities, maps showing Revolutionary War battles and military campaigns, and early state maps from the 1790s.