J. Willis, Shoe Manufactory. Number 241 Arch Street, Philadelphia

This advertising print from 1846 shows the four-story manufactory and storefront for “J. Willis Wholesale & Retale [sic] Ladies Shoe Store,” located on the 600 block of Arch Street in Philadelphia. On the street beneath the store awning, a couple enters the store through the entryway, while a lady looks at a partially visible print hanging in the central display window, possibly depicting the Willis shoe store. Drapery is visible in some of the upper floor windows and a horse-drawn carriage is parked in front of the building. Partial views of the adjacent buildings also can be seen. A prominent graphic element of this image is the shading, representing light reflecting from windows. The business featured in this print operated from this address as “J. Willis” between 1840 and 1853, at which time it was renamed “J. Willis & Son.”

William D. Parrish, Book Bindery, Paper and Rag Warehouse, Paper Books and Stationery. Number 4 North Fifth Street, Philadelphia

This advertising print from 1847 shows the busy four-story storefront of William D. Parrish, located on Fifth Street north of Market Street in Philadelphia. Signage displayed on the establishment reads, “book bindery,” “paper & rag warehouse,” and “paper, books, and stationery.” A male patron enters the store through one open entryway; at the other entryway, a clerk prepares sacks on a hoist. Shelves of bound items line a wall of the store. In the central display window are glass bottles and stacks of bound volumes. Employees of the store are visible at work in the upper floor windows, readying hoisting ropes, inspecting rags, and working with and carrying stacks of bound books. The windows without employees contain boxes. Outside the storefront, additional signage on the building facade advertise “Book Bindry [sic] Upstairs”; “Rags Bought for Cash”; and “Blank Books and School Books.” On the sidewalk, marked crates and sacks of rags are stacked near the open cellar. Crate markings include “F.C.L.,” “D.C.H. N. Orleans,” “Nashville,” and “Louisville.” A horse-drawn dray with a driver is in the street. Parrish operated the store from this location in 1844–54.

Ruins of Saint Augustine's Church. North Fourth Street, Philadelphia

This lithograph from 1844 shows the ruins of Saint Augustine’s Church, located at 260-262 North Fourth Street in Philadelphia. In May 1844, this Catholic church was destroyed by fire during the Nativist Riots. Seen here are the damaged outer church walls, which remain standing behind a stone and iron work fence. On the sidewalk, pedestrians, including a pair of men, a pair of women, and a couple, walk past, point, and discuss the ruins. Another woman faces away from the destroyed church, and, near the pair of men, a dog wanders. The church congregation was formed in 1796 under Matthew J. Carr and served the large German and Irish immigrant community residing in the northern sections of the city. The church was built in 1801 after the designs of architect Douglas Fitzmaurice Fagan. The May riots (May 6–8, 1844) began during a confrontation between Irish Catholics and participants in an American Nativist Party rally that was held in the Irish neighborhood of Kensington. Text below the image states that the church was “destroyed by a mob on the evening of the 8th of May, 1844.”

Frederick Fisher, Upholstery, Cheap Bedding and Feather Warehouse. Number 31

This lithograph from 1846 is an advertising proof for an upholstery business operated by Frederick Fisher at the northeast corner of Eighth and Zane streets in Philadelphia. Shown here is the two-and-one-half story warehouse; it has numerous windows and is adorned with signage. Patrons are seen entering through one doorway, passing a sign advertising, "Beds Hair Mattresses Cushions Feathers Moss Ticking Cotts [sic] Cattail." Bedding and bed posts are visible in or hanging out of most of the warehouse windows. A stuffed swan standing among pillows is visible in one of the lower windows. Bed posts and bags labeled "Feathers" lean against the building. Mattresses and bed cushions are displayed on racks on the sidewalk. The scene also includes a fire hydrant and a boy walking past the warehouse. Fisher operated an upholstery business between 1839 and 1853; he operated from this location at the corner of Eighth and Zane streets in 1844–48.

A.L. Knight and Company's Patent Paper Machine Manufactory. Fifteenth and Willow Streets, Philadelphia

This lithograph from 1847 shows an exterior view of the three-story paper machine manufactory located on Fifteenth and Willow streets in Philadelphia. Signage on the side of the building sprawls across ten bays of windows and reads, "Knight's patent paper machine, manufactory." A smaller sign above the entrance reads, "A.L. Knight & Co." Three workers stand, one on every level of the building, as a man on the ground prepares a package to be hoisted from the sidewalk into the building. A gentleman stands in the entryway watching the workers, and another man guides a horse-drawn cart out of the enclosed yard of the manufactory. In a window on the first floor, a seated person can be seen writing. In the background, a partial view of industrial buildings is visible. Below the image is a block of text, including overprinted letterpress title in red ink; the image and text are surrounded by a blue border. A.L. Knight & Company was in business from 1843 to 1850. This lithograph was printed by the firm of Howell Evans, which promoted itself as the first "fast card press in the city.” At this time the press operated on the corner of Fourth and Chestnut streets in Philadelphia. In 1860, this press executed advertisements for the Philadelphia City Directory.

Piper and Andrews, Warm Air Furnace Manufactory. Number 82 North Sixth Street, Philadelphia

This advertising print from 1845 shows a four-story storefront located on the 100 block of North Sixth Street in Philadelphia. The building is adorned with signage that reads: “Warm Air Furnace Manufactory,” “Radiator Stoves, Perpetual Ovens, Backs & Jambs, Vault & Hearth Grates. Metalic [sic] Roofing in Tin & Copper,” and “Cooking Ranges. Piper & Andrews.” A patron enters through one of the two open entryways; inside, a wall of shelves holds merchandise. Clerks and employees are visible at the cellar entrance, inside the second entryway (across from the stairs that lead to the second floor), and in the rear of the business. Pipes and stoves are displayed at the entryways. Two other workers toil at the second floor windows. To the right of the manufactory, a female street vendor sits in front of a rickety wooden building. She sits under an awning with a frame weighted by rocks and uses a falling shutter as a table; it is lined with foodstuffs. The upper floors of the wooden building rise behind her. On the left of the manufactory, a partial view of an adjacent factory can also be seen. Partially visible and semi-legible signs, including one reading “ady's Factory” adorn the adjacent building. Henry A. Piper and R.S.R. Andrews partnered circa 1845–47.

Francis Field and Francis, Importers and Dealers in Tin Plate and Tinsmans Furniture, Importers and Manufacturers of Saddlery Hardware, Tin Ware, Tin Toys and Japanned Wares. Number 80 North Second Street, Philadelphia

This advertising print from 1846 shows the four-story storefront located between Arch and Race streets on North Second Street in Philadelphia. The building is covered in signage stating the name of the firm, “Francis Field & Francis,” and advertising phrases, including: “Importers & Dealers in Tin Plate and Tinsmans Furniture,” and “Importers & Manufacturers of Saddlery Hardware, Tin Ware, Tin Toys & Japanned Wares.” A male patron enters the building through the open doorway. He walks below a sign illustrated with a pig that hangs above the door, reading, “Lard Lamp Manufactory.” The patron passes a stack of crates on the stoop marked, “Tin plate by the box.” Toys, tinware, saddleryware, and japanned ware fill the large display windows on the first floor. In the windows of the upper floors, a male and a female laborer at work are visible, in addition to more merchandise. On the sidewalk, next to the cellar doors of the store, is a barrel. The advertisement also shows partial views of adjacent buildings. Francis, Field & Francis (owned by Henry and Thomas Francis and Charles Field), was also known as the Philadelphia Tin Toy Manufactory. One of the oldest toy manufactories in America, the business began operating from this address in 1839.

Hartley and Knight's Bedding Warehouse. Number 148 South Second Street, Philadelphia

This advertising print from 1846 shows the cluttered-looking three-story storefront of the bedding warehouse located on the 200 block of South Second Street in Philadelphia. A clerk, possibly one of the proprietors, stands at the main entrance to the store and points to one of many disheveled displays of mattresses. Behind him, a couple enters the wareroom. The couple walks under a framed figure of a goose hanging above the doorway. Shelves of mattresses line the walls and rolled mattresses fill the large open display windows. In the back of the store, two women work in a back room. In the upper floor windows of the building, mattresses and bedding are propped out of windows and piles of feathers are visible. In front of the store, a mattress on a bed frame, a bed frame, and bedding on a cot are on display; a clerk loads bedding onto a horse-drawn cart; and a gentleman walks past a fire hydrant on the sidewalk. Partial views of adjacent buildings also can be seen. A prominent sign on the building reads, “Hartley & Knight’s Bedding Warehouse.” Partners Joseph Hartley and Reeve L. Knight relocated to this address circa 1842 and remained in a partnership until 1854.

J. Mayland, Jr. and Company, Tobacco and Snuff Manufactory. Cigars, Foreign and Domestic. Wholesale Grocers. Northwest Corner of Third and Race Streets, Philadelphia

This lithograph from 1846 is an advertisement showing the five-story manufactory and storefront of the tobacco and grocery business located at 111 Race Street (i.e., the 300 block of Race Street) in Philadelphia. The building is covered in signage reading: “Tobacco & Snuff Manufactory,” “Segars [sic], Foreign & Domestic,” “Wholesale Grocers,” and “J. Mayland Jr. & Co.” On the first floor, a patron enters the store near a wall of shelved goods and a line of boxes on the floor; a clerk organizes canisters in the front display window; and other employees check a list and move a crate. In the upper floor windows, boxes, barrels, and sacks are piled and employees work. A box is seen being hoisted into the air inside one window. In front of the store, laborers unload boxes from a horse-drawn dray parked in the street. Crates and barrels line the sidewalk near the dray. Partial views of adjacent buildings also can be seen in this print. Jacob Mayland established his tobacco business circa 1803 and operated from the 300 block of Race Street beginning in 1805. The business, renamed Jacob Mayland Jr. & Company circa 1842, remained at 111 Race Street until circa 1848.

View of the Reception of the 29th Regiment, Pennsylvania Volunteers, at Philadelphia

This chromolithograph from 1863 shows an innovatively designed view of the procession of the Pennsylvania Volunteer regiment, honoring the heroic service of that regiment with the Army of the Potomac in the American Civil War. The procession, which took place on December 23, 1863, is depicted here as serpentine, with the order of procession arranged from top to bottom. At the top of the image is a large eagle holding an American shield. Behind the wings of the eagle are patriotic flags by the “Ladies for the 29th,” flanked by banners reading “Welcome Home.” Soldiers on horseback lead the procession, followed by infantrymen transported in horse-drawn wagons (one wagon also pulls a cannon), and a small brass military band. After the musicians, the 29th Regiment marches on foot, with some men carrying flags. Intermixed with the marching soldiers are additional military bands and officers on horseback. Horse-drawn volunteer fire company ambulances carrying soldiers follow the troops, including the vehicles of Northern Liberty Fire Company, Number 1; Vigilant Fire Company; Assistance Fire Company, Weccacoe; Southwark Hose Company; and Hope Hose Company. Along the route men, women, and children watch and join the procession, shake the hands of the soldiers, and cheer. Two boys involved in a scuffle are among the spectators. Buildings line the route, most shown in shadowy, partial views except for the Cooper Shop Soldiers Home (opened in December 1863) and adjacent buildings, located at Race and Crown streets and seen near the top of the image. Women crowd the windows of the home and a large American flag marked “Cooper Shop Soldiers Home” stands in front of the building. Flanking the image are the names of the “Veterans of the 29th,” listing the field and staff officers, the non-commissioned officers, and each company, including the African American Company K. Below the image are the names of the “Board of Managers of the Cooper Shop Soldiers’ Home.” The procession commenced at about one o'clock from Market Street Bridge down Market Street to Twenty-First Street, eventually arriving at the Cooper Shop Soldiers Home, where the members of the 29th regiment had dinner before proceeding to the National Guards Hall (518-520 Race Street) to be welcomed by Colonel John Price Wetherill. The order of the procession was as follows: the First City Troop; 27th New York Battery; Liberty Coronet Band; Henry Guards; four companies of invalids corps; Provost Guard; discharged members of the regiment; Birgfield's Band; former (Murphy) and present (Rickards) commander of the regiment; Lieutenant Colonel Zulick of the regiment; the regiment; female family members; First Regiment; Jefferson Coronet Band; Pennsylvania Military Institute cadets; City Council members; other guards and regiments; and lastly, the ambulances of the firemen. The veterans of the 29th Regiment home on furlough reenlisted for additional service, which was announced at the procession. This chromolithograph was published by Charles Baum, for the benefit of the Cooper Shop Soldiers Home. Born in Germany circa 1824, Baum was a resident of Philadelphia from the 1840s and was an artist and publisher of lithographs during the Civil War.