This book, published in 1826 at the press of the Kiev-Pechersk Lavra Monastery, is a comprehensive account of the monastery and its establishment. Kiev-Pechersk Lavra, also called the Monastery of the Kiev Caves (pechera means cave; lavra indicates a monastery of status), is a large complex founded in 1051 by a monk named Anthony in caves dug out of the hillside. The monastery soon became central to Christianity in Russia and to local cultural development, supporting writers, physicians, scientists, and artists. After a fire in 1718, most of the lavra ensemble was rebuilt in the baroque style. This work covers the foundation and early years of the lavra, the saints who lived in its caves, the vicissitudes over the centuries, cave churches, other churches and the cathedrals, monastic buildings, and its printing press, the first in Kiev. Other chapters give the text of the charters and detail the precious artifacts and decorations of the buildings and the various patrons and benefactors. The book also discusses the Patericon (Lives of the saints) and reputed miracles at the lavra and chronicles the abbots who presided over it and events that took place under their rule. Together with Kiev’s Saint Sophia Cathedral, the lavra is inscribed in the UNESCO World Heritage List.