Saint Vladimir’s Cathedral in Kiev was constructed in 1862–96 to mark the 900th anniversary of the conversion to Christianity of Kievan Rus by Prince Vladimir (or Volodymyr) Sviatoslavich, later known as Saint Vladimir the Great (circa 956–1015). A note from the publisher of this book states that publications describing Saint Vladimir’s Cathedral had mostly received rapturous reviews from readers, but that some readers were critical of the cathedral’s design and decorations. The purpose of this book, according to the note, was to provide readers with many illustrations of the cathedral, which would allow them to make their own judgment about the cathedral’s artistic merits. The design of the book, printed on manila paper with intricate rubrication of chapter openings, section headings, and initials, imitates the manuscripts of the 11th century in the spirit of Vladimir. The book describes Kiev in the 1850s, the preliminary work on the cathedral, its Russian Byzantine-style architecture, and the construction. Part II is about the frescoes and mosaics of the interior and the artists who created them, including Viktor Vasnecov, Mikhail Nesterov, and Pavel Svedomskij. Part III is on the décor of the cathedral, its marble, sculptures, bronze and enamel work, and treasures, and the cost of the cathedral.