This photochrome print of the Chillon Castle is part of “Views of Switzerland” from the catalog of the Detroit Publishing Company (1905). Located in southwestern Switzerland on the shore of Lake Geneva in Montreux, this castle was first mentioned in written sources in the 12th century. Its exact date of construction is unknown. Baedeker’s Switzerland and the adjacent portions of Italy, Savoy, and Tyrol (1913) informed readers that “[the] Castle of Chillon, with its massive walls and towers . . . stands on an isolated rock [1.8 meters] from the banks, with which it is connected by a bridge." The architecture of the castle, which served as both a fortress and a residence, reflects the influences of three historical eras: the Savoy, Bernese, and Vaudois periods. The castle consists of a network of one hundred interconnected buildings, including a prison, which famously held the “Prisoner of Chillon,” François Bonivard, who inspired Lord Byron’s 19th-century poem of the same name.