This early-19th century playing card is from a set of 60 such cards, each devoted to a different province or territory of the Russian Empire, which at the time included the Grand Duchy of Finland, Congress Poland, and Russian America. One side of each card shows the local costume and the provincial coat of arms; the other side contains a map. This card depicts Grodno Province, located in the western part of the empire, in present-day Belarus. To the southwest, the province bordered the Kingdom of Poland, which was then a protectorate of the Russian Empire. Russia acquired the territory of Grodno Province after the third partition of Poland in 1795. Grodno (Hrodna, in Belarusian), the administrative center, is situated on the Neman (Nyoman, in Belarusian) River. The card indicates that the distance from Grodno to St. Petersburg was 990 versts, and from Grodno to Moscow, 1,033½ versts. A verst is a Russian measurement of distance, no longer used, equal to 1.0668 kilometers.