This interior east view of the log Church of the Epiphany at Oshevenskoe (Kargopol' District, Arkhangel'sk Oblast) was taken in 1998 by Dr. William Brumfield, American photographer and historian of Russian architecture, as part of the "Meeting of Frontiers" project at the Library of Congress. Oshevenskoe, located along the right bank of the Chur'iuga River, developed near the Dormition Monastery, which was founded by the monk Alexander Osheven in 1453. This large village consisted of three hamlets, each with its own name. The Church of the Epiphany, built in 1787, presided over the hamlet of Pogost, also a term for the sacred territory of an enclosed cemetery. The church interior is remarkable for its four-tiered iconostasis and painted ceiling, visible here. Many of the icons on the Local (first) Row, the Festival Row, and the Deesis Row are missing from the elaborate carved frame of the iconostasis, thus exposing the large pine logs of the central octagonal structure. The Prophets (fourth) Row has at its center an icon of the Mother of God of the Sign (Znamenie). The Royal Gate (in the center) has been partially restored. On the left side is the entrance to a second altar space. The Church of the Epiphany, now used for worship by the local parish, is one of the most impressive examples of the artistic culture of the Russian north.