This photograph shows the Iset River valley near the village of Kolchedanskoe (Kolchedan), situated at the confluence of the small Kolchedanka River with the Iset near the boundary of contemporary Sverdlovsk and Kurgan Oblast. The village, whose name refers to an iron-bearing rock, was founded in 1650 as an outpost to defend the region from attack by Bashkirs, who were not subdued until the latter half of the 18th century. Visible here is a flood plain, with vegetable fields enclosed in wattle fences. The image is by Russian photographer Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii (1863–1944), who used a special color photography process to create a visual record of the Russian Empire in the early 20th century. Some of Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographs date from about 1905, but the bulk of his work is from between 1909 and 1915, when, with the support of Tsar Nicholas II and the Ministry of Transportation, he undertook extended trips through many different parts of the empire. In 1912 Prokudin-Gorskii participated in an expedition along the Kama-Tobol Waterway together with members of the Imperial Russian Geographical Society. During the expedition he did extensive photography in the area of the Iset River. The Iset, 600 kilometers in length, originates northwest of Ekaterinburg, flows through that city, and proceeds east to the Tobol River.