The town of Dalmatovo (present-day Kurgan Oblast) was established next to the Dormition Monastery, founded by the monk Dalmat in 1644 at the confluence of the Iset and Techa Rivers. The Iset is a tributary of the Tobol, which empties into the Irtysh. Attacked and burned numerous times by nomadic Kalmyks and Bashkirs, the monastery walls were rebuilt in brick in 1713–24. Shown here is the iconostasis of the Dormition Cathedral of the monastery, with a miracle-working Icon of the Dormition of the Virgin reputedly brought to the site by the venerable Dalmat. Russian icons traditionally are painted on wood, but they were often covered with elaborate metal overlays that left visible only the heads and hands of the holy figures. During the Soviet era, the monastery was thoroughly vandalized. The image is by Russian photographer Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii (1863–1944), who used a special color photography process to create a visual record of the Russian Empire in the early 20th century. Some of Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographs date from about 1905, but the bulk of his work is from between 1909 and 1915, when, with the support of Tsar Nicholas II and the Ministry of Transportation, he undertook extended trips through many parts of the empire. In 1912 Prokudin-Gorskii participated in an expedition along the Kama-Tobol Waterway, during which he visited Dalmatovo.