This 1968 photograph shows construction of Al-Maqtaa Bridge in Abu Dhabi. The single-span steel bridge connects the city of Abu Dhabi to the mainland. Seen in the background is the 200-year old Maqtaa watchtower, part of the Al-Maqtaa Fort, which served as a watchtower and line of defense against invasion. The fort is built in a traditional style, using wood and soft, sand-colored stone. The photograph is from the Colonel Edward "Tug" Bearby Wilson Collection in the National Library, Abu Dhabi Authority for Culture and Heritage, and was taken by Wilson. Colonel Tug Wilson (1921–2009) was a British army officer who, in the 1960s, was seconded to the government of Abu Dhabi to help build the national defense force. He was a personal friend of the ruler of Abu Dhabi, Shaykh Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan (1918–2004), with whom he shared interests in falconry and horseback riding.