This important early map, on four sheets, of the city of Valencia is by Tomas Vicente Tosca (1651–1723), a local priest, scholar, mathematician, cartographer, and theologian, who was a founder of the Novatores group, a scientific society established with the aim of challenging and renewing prevailing ideas and practices. Father Tosca’s most important book was Compendio Matemático (Mathematical compendium), a nine-volume work composed in 1707–15 that covered, in addition to mathematics and geometry, such subjects as astronomy, geography, seamanship, military architecture, optics, and perspective. The success of this work was such that several editions were made and it was translated into other languages, including German, French, and Italian. Tosca also designed and built a large geographic globe. Tosca’s map of Valencia, produced in 1704, provides detailed views of public and private buildings, streets, squares, and other features of the city. The top left corner of the map shows an allegory of the city, by Joseph Fortea, in which the matron holds the coat of arms of the city and carries a torch in her hand; a ribbon protrudes from her heart with the legend Ardet et lucet intus et foris (Burns and shines within and without). In the bottom corner, in a large baroque cartouche decorated with patterns relating to mathematics and the fine arts, is the key to the map or "Explanation of the notes." It has a long list of parishes, convents, schools, hospitals, palaces, houses, fish markets, and other places in the city. The scale, on the third sheet, is expressed as one to 1,200 Valencian palms (a unit of length equal to 14.7 centimeters).