The Holy Gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ
The Typographia Medicea (Medici Oriental Press) was founded in 1584 by Cardinal Ferdinando de’ Medici for the purpose of printing Christian texts in Middle Eastern languages, including Arabic, Turkish, and Syriac. This Arabic gospel was produced by the press in 1590–91. The beautiful cursive Arabic type, designed by Robert Granjon (1513–90), represented an advance on all previous European attempts at creating an Arabic typeface. The fine engravings by Leonardo (Norsino) Parasole (circa 1570–1630) are after designs by Antonio Tempesta (1555–1630), who was in turn inspired by Albrecht Dürer (1471–1528). The work was issued in two versions, this one in Arabic only, and another with an interlinear Latin translation. This copy came to Saint John's Abbey, Minnesota, in the late 19th or early 20th century, probably through Father Placidus Wingerter OSB, who was a professor at the Greek College in Rome.
Title in Original Language
الانجيل المقدس لربنا يسوع المسيح
Type of Item
368 pages : illustrations ; 33.4 x 23.4 centimeters
Last updated: July 3, 2014