Views of Petrópolis
The city of Petrópolis was founded by government decree on March 16, 1843, and named after Emperor Pedro II (1825–91, reigned 1831–89). The decree provided for the construction of the Imperial Palace and its dependencies and gardens, which formed the Quinta Imperial de Petrópolis (Imperial farm of Petrópolis). Called the Imperial City for its associations with the royal family, Petrópolis served as the summer residence of the Brazilian emperors and was the capital of the state of Rio de Janeiro from 1894 to 1902. This album, dating from the 1860s, contains 15 views of the main sights in the city, including the palace, the Mother Church, the waterfall, city streets, and the New Cemetery. The album is by Pedro Hees (1841–80), one of Brazil’s most important early photographers. Hees operated a photography studio in Petrópolis, which his son Otto Hees (1870–1941) took over after his father’s premature death. The album is part of the Thereza Christina Maria collection at the National Library of Brazil. The collection is composed of 21,742 photos assembled by Pedro II throughout his life and donated by him to the national library.
Title in Original Language
Vistas de Petrópolis
Type of Item
1 album (15 photographs) ; albumin paper, black and white : 31.7 x 38 centimeters
Last updated: February 18, 2015