Carnegie Library, Columbus, Ohio
The Scottish-born American industrialist and philanthropist Andrew Carnegie (1835–1919) funded the construction of more than 2,500 public libraries in the English-speaking world, some 1,700 of them in the United States. Carnegie made his first library gift in 1881, to his native village of Dunfermline, which was followed by the gift of a public library and hall to Allegheny City, Carnegie’s first home town in the United States. This architectural rendering shows the main library of Columbus, Ohio, which was built in 1903–7 with a $200,000 gift from Carnegie. The library was designed by architect Albert Randolph Ross (1869–1948), whose handwritten notes are on the card, and is constructed of Vermont marble and granite. Ross also designed Carnegie libraries in Denver, Washington, Nashville, and several other cities. The new library in Columbus opened to the public on April 8, 1907 and remains in use to the present.
Type of Item
1 photographic print
Last updated: April 13, 2012