Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, 1902
This panoramic map shows Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, as it appeared in 1902. The numbered index at the bottom indicates points of interest, including major railroad stations, the post office, Fort Pitt blockhouse, the courthouse, and the Frick, Carnegie, and Park buildings. With its elevated view, the map shows the growth of the city along the banks of Monongahela and Allegheny Rivers, which meet at Pittsburgh to form the Ohio River. The panoramic map was a cartographic form popularly used to depict U.S. and Canadian cities and towns in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Also known as bird's-eye views or perspective maps, these works are representations of cities portrayed as if viewed from above at an oblique angle. Not generally drawn to scale, they show street patterns, individual buildings, and major landscape features in perspective. This map is by Thaddeus Mortimer Fowler (1842–1922), one of the most prolific makers of panoramic maps. Fowler was born in Lowell, Massachusetts, and fought and was wounded in the American Civil War. After working for an uncle who was a photographer, in 1870 he established his own panoramic map firm. Over the course of a long career, Fowler made panoramic maps of cities in 21 states and parts of Canada.
T. M. Fowler & James B. Moyer, Morrisville, Pennsylvania
Type of Item
1 color map ; 33 x 56 centimeters
Last updated: April 16, 2012