Christ Church Hospital


This 1864 lithograph shows an exterior view of the front facade of a hospital building constructed between 1856 and 1861 and located at 2100 North 49th Street in Philadelphia. The building was designed by architect John M. Gries (1827–62). Gothic architectural details can be seen in this image, including narrow pointed arched windows, gable roofs, pinnacles, and spires. A carriage drives away from the front entrance, using the same path pedestrians use to stroll on the grounds. The Christ Church Hospital was founded in 1772 by Dr. John Kearsley to support poor and widowed women of the Church of England. The artist, Charles P. Tholey (1832–95), was born in Germany and immigrated to Philadelphia with his father and brother circa 1848. He delineated lithographs and depicted cityscape views, landscapes, and historical scenes. This lithograph was published by Thomas S. Wagner, who was born in Pennsylvania in 1813 or 1814. He became a partner in Wagner & McGuigan, one of the premier and most prolific lithographic establishments of the mid-19th century. By 1864, he operated a lithography firm as sole proprietor.

Last updated: October 30, 2015