This 1864 lithograph shows an exterior view looking northwest at Christ Church Episcopal church located at 22-34 North Second Street in Philadelphia. Christ Church was built between 1727 and 1744. The steeple was completed in 1754, after the designs of architects John Harrison and Robert Smith. The scene includes pedestrian traffic walking along both Second and Church Streets, a flock of birds near the weathervane and steeple, and in the foreground, trolley tracks running the length of Second Street. The artist, Charles P. Tholey (1832–95), was born in Germany and immigrated to Philadelphia with his father and brother circa 1848. He delineated lithographs and depicted cityscape views, landscapes, and historical scenes. This lithograph was published by Thomas S. Wagner, who was born in Pennsylvania in 1813 or 1814. He became a partner in Wagner & McGuigan, one of the premier and most prolific lithographic establishments of the mid-19th century. By 1864, he operated a lithography firm as sole proprietor.
T.S. Wagner's Lithography, Philadelphia
Type of Item
1 print : lithograph, tinted with one stone ; 15 x 9 centimeters
- Digital catalog number: POS 117
Last updated: October 30, 2015