View of the Reception of the 29th Regiment, Pennsylvania Volunteers, at Philadelphia


This chromolithograph from 1863 shows an innovatively designed view of the procession of the Pennsylvania Volunteer regiment, honoring the heroic service of that regiment with the Army of the Potomac in the American Civil War. The procession, which took place on December 23, 1863, is depicted here as serpentine, with the order of procession arranged from top to bottom. At the top of the image is a large eagle holding an American shield. Behind the wings of the eagle are patriotic flags by the “Ladies for the 29th,” flanked by banners reading “Welcome Home.” Soldiers on horseback lead the procession, followed by infantrymen transported in horse-drawn wagons (one wagon also pulls a cannon), and a small brass military band. After the musicians, the 29th Regiment marches on foot, with some men carrying flags. Intermixed with the marching soldiers are additional military bands and officers on horseback. Horse-drawn volunteer fire company ambulances carrying soldiers follow the troops, including the vehicles of Northern Liberty Fire Company, Number 1; Vigilant Fire Company; Assistance Fire Company, Weccacoe; Southwark Hose Company; and Hope Hose Company. Along the route men, women, and children watch and join the procession, shake the hands of the soldiers, and cheer. Two boys involved in a scuffle are among the spectators. Buildings line the route, most shown in shadowy, partial views except for the Cooper Shop Soldiers Home (opened in December 1863) and adjacent buildings, located at Race and Crown streets and seen near the top of the image. Women crowd the windows of the home and a large American flag marked “Cooper Shop Soldiers Home” stands in front of the building. Flanking the image are the names of the “Veterans of the 29th,” listing the field and staff officers, the non-commissioned officers, and each company, including the African American Company K. Below the image are the names of the “Board of Managers of the Cooper Shop Soldiers’ Home.” The procession commenced at about one o'clock from Market Street Bridge down Market Street to Twenty-First Street, eventually arriving at the Cooper Shop Soldiers Home, where the members of the 29th regiment had dinner before proceeding to the National Guards Hall (518-520 Race Street) to be welcomed by Colonel John Price Wetherill. The order of the procession was as follows: the First City Troop; 27th New York Battery; Liberty Coronet Band; Henry Guards; four companies of invalids corps; Provost Guard; discharged members of the regiment; Birgfield's Band; former (Murphy) and present (Rickards) commander of the regiment; Lieutenant Colonel Zulick of the regiment; the regiment; female family members; First Regiment; Jefferson Coronet Band; Pennsylvania Military Institute cadets; City Council members; other guards and regiments; and lastly, the ambulances of the firemen. The veterans of the 29th Regiment home on furlough reenlisted for additional service, which was announced at the procession. This chromolithograph was published by Charles Baum, for the benefit of the Cooper Shop Soldiers Home. Born in Germany circa 1824, Baum was a resident of Philadelphia from the 1840s and was an artist and publisher of lithographs during the Civil War.

Last updated: December 29, 2015