View of the Department for White Children of the House of Refuge


This print depicts the buildings of the Department for White Children of the House of Refuge in Philadelphia, including the girls’ dormitories (first and second class), the girls’ work and sitting room, the officers’ rooms and main entrance, the boys’ dormitories, and the boys’ workshop. The lithograph is one of a pair of illustrations also printed on textile in 1858, as well as was used as the frontispiece to the Thirtieth Annual Report of the Board of Managers of the House of Refuge, the other being “View of the Department for Coloured Children of the House of Refuge.” Founded in 1828, the House of Refuge was the first institution in Pennsylvania charged with reforming and educating juveniles accused of delinquency and providing an alternative to prison. These buildings, located between Parrish and Brown Streets between 22nd and 24th Streets, opened in 1850.

Date Created

Subject Date

Publication Information

P.S. Duval & Son Lithography, Philadelphia


Title in Original Language

View of the department for white children of the House of Refuge

Type of Item

Physical Description

1 print : lithograph on silk ; image 12 x 21 centimeters, on sheet 30 x 24 centimeters


  • Digital catalog number: POS 794

Last updated: October 26, 2012