Doctor Hoofland's Celebrated German Bitters and Balsamic Cordial. Prepared by Doctor C. M. Jackson, 418 Arch Street, Philadelphia


This colored advertising print from 1859 features an exterior view of the patent medicine shop operated by C.M. Jackson at 418 Arch Street in Philadelphia. The four-story building, adjacent to a walled courtyard, contains a date marker reading "1855"; lettering on the roof that spells out "C.M. Jackson"; and text on the side of the building that advertises "Dr. Hooflands German Bitters and Balsamic Cordial." Pedestrians walk and converse on the sidewalk and a horse-drawn carriage passes in the street. The illustration is surrounded by an arch-shaped decorative border containing filigree, architectural elements, sculptures, and advertising text. The text advertises German bitters for the cure of liver complaint, dyspepsia, and other diseases, and balsamic cordial for the cure of coughs and colds. Jackson began marketing the bitters, named after the German physician Christoph Wilhelm Hoofland, in the United States around 1848. Jackson operated from this location in 1858–59. This print was produced by the firm of Louis N. Rosenthal, a pioneer chromolithographer who operated the Philadelphia lithography firm, Rosenthal’s Lithography, with his brothers Max, Morris, and Simon from circa 1851–72. Rosenthal was born in Turck, Russian Poland around 1824, and immigrated to the United States in 1848.

Date Created

Subject Date

Publication Information

L.N. Rosenthal, Lithographer, Philadelphia


Title in Original Language

Dr. Hoofland's celebrated German bitters and balsamic cordial. Prepared by Dr. C. M. Jackson, 418 Arch St., Philadelphia

Type of Item

Physical Description

1 print : chromolithograph ; 51 x 38 centimeters


  • Philadelphia on Stone: POS 188

Last updated: August 19, 2015