Lippincott and Company. Southwest Corner of Fourth and Market Streets, Philadelphia
This 1858 advertising print shows the red, two-bay, six-story building located at the southwest corner of Fourth and Market Streets; it is marked by a pre-consolidation address (i.e., from before the Act of Consolidation of 1854, a law passed by the Pennsylvania General Assembly that consolidated many smaller municipalities into the City of Philadelphia), as is an adjacent building. The tenant was a clothing store owned by Barclay and Isaac Lippincott. An advertisement painted in white on the east side of the building reads, "Lippincotts one price clothing warehouse cheap for cash." A similar phrase is repeated on the front facade, along with the address. A large flag reading, "Clothing Lippincott & Co.," flies at the top of the building. Under the corner awning at street level, two men stand near a display of shirts, pants, vests, and other articles of clothing. Inside, patrons speak with sales clerks who stand behind counters and in front of shelves that extend to the ceiling. Wares cover the shop windows. To the right, on Market Street, a man walks with a woman holding a parasol near boxes piled outside of the adjacent, four-story property labeled as “Lippincotts Clothing Warehouse” (132 Market Street; ie., 402 Market Street). Next to the clothing warehouse, framed engravings are displayed in the partially-visible shop window of Thomas, importer of engravings (404 Market Street). A large framed print is prominently displayed on the outside of the shop. To the left, on Fourth Street, a man examines wares outside, a person stands in the front doorway of the building immediately south of the clothing store, and another peers into a window. A woman in a red dress rides a white horse on Market Street, alongside a man on horseback, and two dogs stand together in the street. Text at the top of the image reads, “One low price to ask & take, suits everybody.” The clothing store operated at this address as Lippincott, Taylor & Company, until 1851, when it became Lippincott & Company under the ownership of Barclay and Isaac Lippincott. The business name changed again in 1860 to Lippincott, Hunter & Scott, with an additional store added at 424 Market Street. Purportedly, this is the store where merchant John Wanamaker (1838–1922) worked and was introduced to the clothing business. This lithograph was created by Robert F. Reynolds, an artist born circa 1818 in Pennsylvania, and known for his fine-detailed architectural advertising prints. The printing firm was Wagner & McGuigan, which specialized in the production of advertising prints.
Wagner & McGuigan's Steam Press, Philadelphia
Title in Original Language
Lippincott & Co. south west corner of Fourth & Market St Philadelphia.
Type of Item
1 print : lithograph, tinted with three stones ; 62 x 46 centimeters
- Digital catalog number: POS 439
Last updated: January 8, 2018