H. S. Tarr's Marble Yard. Number 274 Green Street above Seventh Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
This advertising print from around 1858 shows a view of the marble yard fronted by a triple arch adorned with plaques, the adjoining three-story office building, and rear factory of the establishment at Green Street north of Seventh Street. From the sidewalk, laid with decorative black and white tile, a lady with a parasol and a gentleman admire the ornate obelisks and monuments within the yard. Several of the pieces display patriotic details, urns, and statuary. Plaques on the arches include the name of the business in addition to text reading "Every Description of Monumental Works Executed" and "Plain & Carved Mantels of Every Description." Under the third arch and entrance to the yard, a clerk and patron talk near slabs of marble propped against the wall of the office building. Behind the men, a laborer hauls a large monument by a dolly into the factory yard. More monuments, including animal sculpture and statuary, are displayed in the courtyard, upper balcony, and Gothic windows of the adjacent office building. A large American eagle sculpture tops the arches and the American flag flies above the office. Lists of references for the establishment are given in the lower corners of the print, flanking the main title. Tarr was one of the four major marble manufactories in the city during the mid-19th century. The print is by William H. Rease, the most prolific lithographer of advertising prints in Philadelphia during the 1840s and 1850s. Born in Pennsylvania circa 1818, Rease became active in his trade around 1844. Through the 1850s he mainly worked with printers Frederick Kuhl and Wagner & McGuigan in the production of advertising prints known for their portrayals of human details. Although Rease often collaborated with other lithographers, a listing in O'Brien's Business Directory indicates that by 1850 he had founded his own establishment at 17 South Fifth Street, north of Chestnut Street. After a partnership with Francis Schell that lasted from about 1853 to 1855, in 1855 he relocated his shop to the northeast corner of Fourth and Chestnut Streets, where, in addition to advertising prints, he produced certificates, views, maps, and maritime prints.
Lithography by W.H. Rease, Philadelphia
Title in Original Language
H. S. Tarr's marble yard, no. 274 Green St. above Seventh Philadelphia Pa.
Type of Item
1 print : lithograph, tinted with one stone ; 44 x 54 centimeters
- Digital catalog number: POS 340.1
Last updated: September 2, 2015