The New Moravian Church of 1856. Southwest Corner of Wood and Franklin Streets


This hand-colored lithograph from 1857 shows an exterior view of a church and side courtyard, completed in 1856 after the designs of J.A.C. Trautwine, and located at the southwest corner of Wood and Franklin Streets in Philadelphia. This was the third church building built for the Moravian congregation, which was established in 1742. Trees and an iron-work fence surround the Norman-style building. Neighboring buildings are also visible. This print was produced by the firm of Herline & Hensel of Philadelphia, a partnership operated by lithographers Edward Otto Herline (1825–1902) and Daniel Hensel (1830–1919) from 1857 until around 1866. The firm produced chromolithographs and bird's-eye-view prints, advertisements, sheet music covers, maps, portraiture, political cartoons, certificates, and illustrations. Herline & Hensel also issued lithographs for the German American community and produced prints for government reports. Herline was born in Hesse-Darmstadt, Germany and, with his brother Gustavus, immigrated to the United States in 1848. Hensel was the son of German immigrants and was born in Philadelphia.

Last updated: June 30, 2016