The Catholic Church of Saint Peter’s in Philadelphia. On Fifth and Franklin Street
This print from around 1857 shows an exterior view of the Roman-style German Catholic church, Saint Peter the Apostle, located at 1015 North Fifth Street in Philadelphia. The church was built between 1842 and 1847 after the designs of Napoleon Le Brun. Pedestrians are seen on the sidewalk in the foreground, including two children, who are holding hands. The parish of Saint Peter the Apostle was founded in the 1840s to serve the growing German immigrant population in the city. This print was produced by the firm of Herline & Hensel of Philadelphia, a partnership operated by lithographers Edward Otto Herline (1825–1902) and Daniel Hensel (1830–1919) from 1857 until around 1866. The firm produced chromolithographs and bird's-eye-view prints, advertisements, sheet music covers, maps, portraiture, political cartoons, certificates, and illustrations. Herline & Hensel also issued lithographs for the German American community and produced prints for government reports. Herline was born in Hesse-Darmstadt, Germany and, with his brother Gustavus, immigrated to the United States in 1848. Hensel was the son of German immigrants and was born in Philadelphia.
Herline & Hensel, Lithographers, Philadelphia
Title in Original Language
Die Katholische St. Peter's Kirche zu Philadelphia. An der Fünften und Franklin Strasse
Type of Item
2 prints : lithograph ; 34 x 22 centimeters or smaller.
- Digital catalog number: POS 183
Last updated: January 8, 2018