Dale, Ross and Withers, Importers and Jobbers of Silks and Fancy Goods, 219 Market Street and 42 Commerce Street, Philadelphia
This advertisement shows the front facade of the five-story storefront built circa 1857 at 219 Market Street in Philadelphia. The building is adorned with the name of the business and the street number on the roof. The print also shows line-drawn partial views of adjacent buildings. The partnership of Dale, Ross & Withers, leading silk merchants in the United States, was formed in 1843 and relocated to this address in 1857. By the mid-1860s, Withers had left the partnership. The illustration is by Stephen Decatur Button (1813-97) and was printed by John Frampton Watson. Button was a prominent American architect who moved to the Philadelphia area in 1848, where he designed numerous commercial buildings, churches, schools, and houses.
J.F. Watson's Lithography, Philadelphia
Title in Original Language
Dale, Ross & Withers, importers & jobbers of silks & fancy goods, 219 Market St & 42 Commerce St, Philadelphia.
Type of Item
1 print : lithograph, tinted with two stones ; 60 x 37 centimeters
- Digital catalog number: POS 170
- Constance M. Greiff, “Button, Stephen Decatur,” in American National Biography, edited by Paul Betz and Mark C. Carnes (New York: Oxford University Press, 1999; with Supplement 1, 2002).
- Roger W. Moss, "Button, Stephen Decatur (1813-1897)," http://www.philadelphiabuildings.org/pab/app/ar_display.cfm/22852.
Last updated: August 27, 2015