Cathedral of Saint Peter and Saint Paul, Philadelphia


This print from around 1859 is an exterior view of the Cathedral of Saint Peter and Saint Paul in Philadelphia. The Roman-Corinthian-style cathedral was built between 1846 and 1864 after the designs of Napoleon Le Brun (interior) and John Notman (exterior). Located on Eighteenth Street, north of Race Street, the church is modeled after the Lombard Church of Saint Charles (San Carlo al Corso) in Rome, Italy. Shown here is the Palladian facade of the building. Considered the greatest work by Notman, the facade features four massive stone Corinthian columns, four niches adorned with statuary, and two small spires. Towering over the facade is the 47.5-meter cathedral dome. A number of people stand in front of the sanctuary, and bushes and trees flank the building. This print was produced by P.S. Duval & Son, the firm founded by Peter Stephen Duval, the most prominent Philadelphia lithographer of the 19th century. Duval was born circa 1804 or 1805 in France. He emigrated from France to Philadelphia in the fall of 1831 to accept a job as a lithographer with the printing firm of Childs & Inman. By 1837 he had established his lithographic printing shop and he remained in business until his retirement in 1869. His son, Stephen Charles Duval, was born in Philadelphia in 1833. He received lithographic training from his father and may also have studied the trade in Paris. In 1857 he became a partner in the lithographic firm, which was then renamed P.S. Duval & Son.

Date Created

Subject Date

Publication Information

P.S. Duval & Son Lithography, Philadelphia


Title in Original Language

Cathedral of St. Peter & St. Paul Philadelphia

Type of Item

Physical Description

1 print : lithograph ; 17 x 13 centimeters


  • Digital catalog number: POS 86

Last updated: August 19, 2015