Burton and Laning's Paper Hangings Manufactory. 6th Street above Camac


This advertisement from around 1855 shows a paper hangings factory that was established by the firm of Burton & Laning in 1852, and located at Sixth Street and Columbia Avenue in Philadelphia. A worker hoists a barrel up the street-side of the four-and-one-half story building, which is located in an industrial block. Sheds, fenced factory yards, and factory buildings dominate the surrounding landscape. In the foreground is a busy street scene. A horse-drawn dray is unloaded in front of the factory and a hay wagon pulled by two horses approaches from the left. Men push handcarts, lead a horse pulling a dray loaded with barrels, drive a covered wagon filled with logs, and ride on horseback. Across the street from the factory, a female vendor serves a boy a cup of milk from a canister beside her. Burton & Laning were active until 1862. This print is by the firm of Rease & Schell, a partnership formed in the 1850s by William H. Rease and Francis H. Schell. Born in Pennsylvania circa 1818, Rease was a prominent mid-19th century Philadelphia trade card lithographer. He was known to highlight details of human interest in his advertisements. Schell was born in Philadelphia in 1834 and is best known for his work during the Civil War as an illustrator for Frank Leslie’s Illustrated Newspaper.

Date Created

Subject Date

Publication Information

Printed by Traubel & Company, Philadelphia


Title in Original Language

Burton & Laning. Manufactory: 6th Street above Camac

Type of Item

Physical Description

1 print : lithograph, tinted with one stone ; 29 x 51 centimeters


  • Digital catalog number: POS 70

Last updated: August 19, 2015