William Dunlaps' Coach Manufactory and Repository, Number 169 North Fifth Street. Philadelphia


This advertising print from 1847 shows the factory complex on the 400 block of North Fifth Street in Philadelphia. The complex includes a three-story building marked "Wm. Dunlap No. 169 Carriage Maker," a courtyard with a large wooden gate, and a two-story building, which probably includes a showroom, adorned with signage that reads "Wm. Dunlaps' Coach Factory," and "E.W. Pearce Saddle & Harness Maker." A couple enters through an entryway of the smaller building. A gentleman walks near the corner of the complex, heading toward the four different types of coaches which line the street. Through the open gate, stacks of lumber can be seen within the courtyard. William Dunlap began operating from this factory around 1845. The factory later was used as a hospital, prison, and barracks during the Civil War. This illustration is by Matthias Shirk Weaver. Born around 1816, probably in New Holland, Pennsylvania, Weaver came to Philadelphia in 1838 to study art at the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts. To support himself, he worked as a lithographic artist, predominantly with printer Thomas S. Sinclair, drawing large Philadelphia business advertisements, portraits, membership certificates, book illustrations, sheet music covers, and maps. He left Philadelphia for Ohio in 1845, where he died of consumption (tuberculosis) in 1847. This print was produced by Sinclair, one of the premier Philadelphia lithographers of the 19th century.

Date Created

Subject Date

Publication Information

Lithography of Thomas Sinclair, Philadelphia


Title in Original Language

William Dunlaps' coach manufactory & repository, No. 169 North Fifth Street. Philadelphia

Type of Item

Physical Description

1 print : lithograph ; 30 x 43 centimeters


  • Digital catalog number: POS 838

Last updated: August 19, 2015