Wright, Hunter and Company. Southwest Corner of Ninth and Walnut Streets, Philadelphia


This 1858 advertising print shows the five-story property at 900 Walnut Street, on the corner of Ninth and Walnut Streets in Philadelphia. The building was tenanted by the plumbing and gas fitting establishment of William Wright, John C. Hunter, J.H. McFetrich, and Thomas Brown. Seventeen bays of windows extend the length of the property on Ninth Street. On the left, two women and a young girl stand in front of the adjacent and unidentified property, which is adorned by the metal skeleton for an awning. On Ninth Street, a man drives a horse-drawn cart north, while another unloads goods from a dray. A horse-drawn omnibus is partially visible in the background. Two gentlemen wearing long coats and top hats stand at the entrance to the plumbing store on Walnut Street. One of them grasps the handle of a pump in the doorway. Chandeliers and other wares are visible through the large shop windows. Two white horses are hitched to a closed cab, which is stopped in front of the entrance. The name of the business, “Wright, Hunter & Co.,” appears prominently on the cornice of the building, and on signboards facing both Walnut and Ninth Streets. The business was managed at this site beginning in 1855; the store name was changed to John C. Hunter & Company in 1864. This lithograph was created by Robert F. Reynolds, an artist born circa 1818 in Pennsylvania, and known for his fine-detailed architectural advertising prints. The printing firm was Wagner & McGuigan, which specialized in the production of advertising prints.

Last updated: October 30, 2015