The Offering of the Carriers of the Press to Their Patrons


This lithograph from 1862 contains a montage of seven titled vignette views of historic sites in Philadelphia. Independence Hall, the building used by the Continental Congresses in 1774 and 1776, is predominately featured. The vignettes include front and rear views of Independence Hall, showing the Chestnut Street elevation and the rear elevation with Independence Square. The largest vignette, located in the middle of the image, is titled, “Signing of the Declaration of Independence,” and is based on a painting by John Trumbull (1756–1843). “Hall of Independence – Interior” shows the interior Assembly Room utilized as an exhibit gallery. The final vignettes are exterior and interior views of Carpenters’ Hall, and a view of the house in which the Declaration of Independence was written, located at the southwest corner of Market and Seventh Streets. The house, which was owned at the time by bricklayer Jacob Graff Jr., was later used as a storefront. In this view, it is adorned with signage reading, “W. Brown & Co.,” “Book & Job Printing Office,” and “Birth Place of Liberty.” Most of the vignette views include pedestrian or visitor traffic. The group of vignettes is surrounded by a border of vinery containing an American eagle and a shield. The montage was printed by Bowen & Company, which was active until circa 1870.

Last updated: June 30, 2016