Exterior View and Interior View of the Temporary Hedding Methodist Episcopal Church. Situated on the Southeast Corner of Coates and Sixteenth Streets, Philadelphia


This 1854 print shows exterior and interior views of the Hedding Methodist Episcopal Church, located on the southeast corner of Coates and Sixteenth Streets in Philadelphia. The text at the bottom explains that after the Reverend Andrew Manship was appointed pastor in August 1853, church leaders decided to construct a large new church building. But “thinking it inexpedient to wait until the Regular Church could be ready for occupancy,” they built this temporary structure. Able to accommodate 1,200 persons, the wood-plank building shown in this print served as the church for about one year, until the permanent building was completed in the fall of 1854. The exterior view of the structure shows a throng of well-dressed churchgoers, including men, women, and children, arriving for services. A tall picket fence with a gate surrounds the church. Two stove pipes project out from the side of the building and a few trees provide landscape. The interior view shows the church packed with parishioners. Four stoves and several overhanging gas pipes, which are lit, furnish the space. The hats of men in attendance hang on hooks on one of the walls. The minister stands on the stage of the pulpit, surrounded by six seated church elders. This print is by Thomas S. Sinclair, one of the premier Philadelphia lithographers of the 19th century, particularly in the field of chromolithography. Sinclair was born around 1805 in the Orkney Islands of northern Scotland and trained in lithography in Edinburgh. He immigrated to the United States around 1830 and worked in New York and later Philadelphia, where, as noted in the 1850 census, he and his wife Magdalena had nine of their ten children. After settling in Philadelphia, he worked at the lithographic shop of John Collins before assuming the establishment and starting his own firm at 79 South Third Street. A practical lithographer throughout his career, Sinclair produced all genres of lithographs, including maps, advertisements, city and landscape views, sheet music covers, portraiture, political cartoons, certificates, and book illustrations.

Date Created

Subject Date

Publication Information

T. Sinclair's Lithography, Philadelphia


Title in Original Language

Exterior view; Interior view of the temporary Hedding M. E. Church. Situated on the S.E. corner of Coates and Sixteenth Sts. Philadelphia

Type of Item

Physical Description

1 print : lithograph, tinted with one stone ; 47 x 38 centimeters


  • Digital catalog number: POS 217

Last updated: August 19, 2015