James Lane's Stove Store. Number 218 North Third Street, Philadelphia
This advertising print from 1847 depicts the stove store operated by James Lane at 218 North Third Street, Philadelphia. Patrons enter the door near merchandise displayed on shelves on the wall. Workmen are loading a horse-drawn cart, while several different types of stoves are lined up on the sidewalk. A narrow, gated alley separates the store from the building on the right. Lane operated his business at this address in 1847−48. The print is by William H. Rease, the most prolific lithographer of advertising prints in Philadelphia during the 1840s and 1850s. Born in Pennsylvania circa 1818, Rease became active in his trade around 1844. Through the 1850s he mainly worked with printers Frederick Kuhl and Wagner & McGuigan in the production of advertising prints known for their portrayals of human details. Although Rease often collaborated with other lithographers, a listing in O'Brien's Business Directory indicates that by 1850 he had founded his own establishment at 17 South Fifth Street, north of Chestnut Street. After a partnership with Francis Schell that lasted from about 1853 to 1855, in 1855 he relocated his shop to the northeast corner of Fourth and Chestnut Streets, where, in addition to advertising prints, he produced certificates, views, maps, and maritime prints.
Printed by F. Kuhl, Philadelphia
Type of Item
1 print : lithograph ; 27 x 17 centimeters
- Digital catalog number: POS 403
Last updated: September 2, 2015