George W. Ridgway, Successor to Samuel P. Griffitts, Jr.


This lithograph from 1841 is an advertisement showing the front and side of the three-and-one-half story storefront located on the 900 block of Chestnut Street in Philadelphia. Text above the image reveals that the building was tenanted by George W. Ridgway, the successor to Samuel P. Griffitts, Jr. At the top of the building, large signage reads “Drugs” and “Chemicals.” The name of the proprietor, “G.W. Ridgway,” adorns the two entranceways. A sign for “Mineral Water” is displayed between the doorways. Jugs, jars, and flasks are displayed in the storefront windows, an awning covers a side door, and balustrades adorn the roof of the building. Ridgway tenanted the address from 1841–42. The lithographer, Thomas S. Sinclair (circa 1805–81), was born in the Orkney Islands of Scotland and was active in Philadelphia by 1833, where he soon had his own business and was one of the first local printmakers to experiment with color lithography. A practical lithographer throughout his career, Sinclair produced all genres of lithographs, including maps, advertisements, city and landscape views, sheet music covers, portraiture, political cartoons, certificates, and book illustrations.

Last updated: June 30, 2016