Emmanuel Episcopal Mission Church. Marlboro Street, Kensington
This circa 1840 lithograph shows an exterior view of the Emmanuel Episcopal Church, located on Marlborough Street north of Girard Avenue in the Kensington neighborhood of Philadelphia. The church was consecrated in 1838. This view shows pedestrian traffic on the sidewalk and a woman and child entering the church through the side entrance. The lithographer of this print was Thomas S. Wagner, who was born in Pennsylvania in 1813 or 1814 and who later became a partner in Wagner & McGuigan, one of the premier and most prolific lithographic establishments of the mid-19th century. In 1840, he was employed by one of the most prominent lithographers and printers of the day, Peter S. Duval, who produced this print. Duval was born circa 1804 or 1805 in France. He emigrated from France to Philadelphia in the fall of 1831 to accept a job as a lithographer with the printing firm of Childs & Inman. By 1837 he had established his lithographic printing shop and he remained in business until his retirement in 1869.
Printed by P. S. Duval Lithography, Philadelphia
Title in Original Language
Emmanuel Episcopal Mission Church. Marlboro Street Kn.
Type of Item
1 print : lithograph ; 33 x 40 centimeters
- Digital catalog number: POS 207
Last updated: January 8, 2018