Interior View of the New Church of Saint Joseph, Philadelphia
This circa 1840 lithograph shows an interior view looking toward the altar (east end) of Saint Joseph’s Church, built 1838–39 after the designs of master designer and parishioner John Darragh, and located at 321-327 Willings Alley in Philadelphia. The altar of the church is comprised of doubled Ionic columns surmounted by a bold curved pediment, and is adorned with six tall candles and a Crucifixion painting by parishioner Sylvano Martinez. On the left in the image, two female parishioners sit in the front row of pews under chandeliers; another stands on the right. Flanking the altar are side chambers. Balconies run the length of the church, and framed paintings hang on the walls. This lithograph was created by Alfred M. Hoffy, who was born circa 1790 in England and immigrated to the United States in the mid-1830s; the printer was Peter S. Duval, one of the most prominent lithographers and printers of his day. Born circa 1804 or 1805 in France, Duval emigrated from France to Philadelphia in the fall of 1831 to accept a job as a lithographer with the printing firm of Childs & Inman. By 1837 he had established his lithographic printing shop and he remained in business until his retirement in 1869.
P.S. Duval Lithography, Philadelphia
Title in Original Language
Interior view of the new church of St. Joseph Philada.
Type of Item
1 print : lithograph ; 29 x 33 centimeters
- Digital catalog number: POS 388
Last updated: January 8, 2018