Tamany Fish House, on the Pea Shore, River Delaware


This hand-colored lithograph from circa 1852 shows visitors enjoying the public grounds of the Tamany Pea Shore Fishing Company, a social and sporting club founded by Philadelphia artisans in 1803 on the New Jersey shore on the Delaware River north of Camden. People are visible in the upper-floor windows and strolling on the veranda of the clubhouse, which was remodeled in 1832. The building is reflected in the water, and is adorned with a flag and a weather vane shaped like a fish. The kitchen building stands to the right of the main building. Between the two buildings, two men stand in front of a water pump. A rowboat is tied to a wooden pier that stretches from the shore; here, couples stroll, and an older man fishes. On the right, a rowboat in the water holds seven passengers (five men and two women). On the riverbank, next to a grounded rowboat, a boy and a man prepare to fish. Other guests stroll and greet each other on the shore that is lined with trees. The club was named after Tamane, a respected American Indian chief from Delaware who purportedly died near the site of the clubhouse. The drawing for this print was done by Philadelphia artist Thomas M. Scott. He often, as in this case, worked with printer Peter S. Duval, one of the most prominent lithographers and printers of his day. Duval was born circa 1804 or 1805 in France. He emigrated from France to Philadelphia in the fall of 1831 to accept a job as a lithographer with the printing firm of Childs & Inman. By 1837 he had established his lithographic printing shop and he remained in business until his retirement in 1869.

Date Created

Subject Date

Publication Information

P.S. Duval Lithography, Philadelphia


Title in Original Language

Tamany Fish House, on the Pea Shore, R. Delaware

Type of Item

Physical Description

1 print : lithograph, hand-colored ; 45 x 64 centimeters


  • Digital catalog number: POS 742

Last updated: October 30, 2015