Northern Liberties and Spring Garden Water Works


This hand-colored lithograph from 1852 shows an oblique view of the front and north flank of the one-and-a-half story granite engine house at the Spring Garden and Northern Liberties Water Works (later known as the Schuylkill Water Works). The waterworks was located at the foot of Thompson Street on the east bank of the Schuylkill River in Philadelphia. In the foreground, an empty horse-drawn cart is stopped near a pump, where a man fills a bucket with water. A couple strolls arm in arm nearby. At the side door of the building, a man stands with his arms crossed, and around the corner, three men stand and converse at the foot of the stairs leading to the engine house entrance. In the background a canal boat is seen on the river (named the Captain T.M. Scott, after the artist by that name); a partial view of the water basin of the waterworks can also be seen, lined by a fence. The waterworks, completed circa 1845 after the designs of engineer William E. Morris, provided water to the Spring Garden, Northern Liberties, and Kensington neighborhoods. The drawing for this print was done by Philadelphia artist Thomas M. Scott, and the creator of this lithograph was Charles Conrad Kuchel, a lithographer who was born in Switzerland in 1820 and worked in Philadelphia from 1840 to circa 1853. The print was produced by Peter S. Duval, one of the most prominent lithographers and printers of his day. Duval was born circa 1804 or 1805 in France. He emigrated from France to Philadelphia in the fall of 1831 to accept a job as a lithographer with the printing firm of Childs & Inman. By 1837 he had established his lithographic printing shop and he remained in business until his retirement in 1869.

Date Created

Subject Date

Publication Information

P.S. Duval & Company Lithography, Philadelphia


Title in Original Language

Northern Liberties & Spring Garden Water Works

Type of Item

Physical Description

1 print : tinted lithograph with hand-coloring ; 44 x 64 centimeters


  • Digital catalog number: POS 512

Last updated: October 30, 2015