Robert Wood's Railing, Architectural and Ornamental Iron Works. Ridge Road below Spring Garden Street, Philadelphia


This circa 1851 advertising print shows a long three-story brick factory occupied by the iron works owned by Robert Wood and located at 1126 Ridge Avenue in Philadelphia. The central portion of the building looms a few feet over the wings, and is adorned by tall, narrow windows on the second story. The building is topped by a decorative cornice adorned with a statue, bell cupola, and advertising flag. Banners on the building advertise a range of iron goods: “Iron Railings, Verandas, &c.,” “Lions, Newfoundland Dogs, Grey Hounds, Statuary &c.,” “Monuments, Fountains & Ornamental Iron Work,” and “Spiral and Straight Stairs and all Kinds of Architectural Iron Work.” Statues of a lion and two dogs adorn an overhang near the open doorway of the iron foundry, under which a man and woman enter the office and warerooms, passing between two additional lion statues. Visible inside the factory are several men at a forge, along with laborers working in the left and right wings. A man driving a horse-drawn company carriage emerges from the right wing. Four laborers load a lion statue into a cart on Ridge Avenue. Several boxes, addressed to "Mobile, Aa.," "Havana," "Jackson," "San Francisco, Ca.," "Smith & Co., St. Louis," "Cincinnati, Oo.," and "Jones & Co., New Orleans," are scattered in the street nearby. Two laborers load (or unload) an iron railing from a covered cart in the right foreground. Visible in the background are men working outdoors with unidentified piles of materials, as well as additional brick factory buildings. A trompe-l'œil frame border surrounds the image. This lithograph was created by Robert F. Reynolds, an artist born circa 1818 in Pennsylvania, and known for his fine-detailed architectural advertising prints. The printing firm was Wagner & McGuigan, which specialized in the production of advertising prints.

Last updated: October 30, 2015