St. Mark's Church, Philadelphia


This lithograph from circa 1850 shows an exterior view of the Gothic-style Saint Mark’s Episcopal Church, located at 1607-1627 Locust Street in Philadelphia. Saint Mark’s Church was built between 1848 and 1851 after the designs of the Scottish-born architect and landscape designer John Notman (1810–65). Below the image is the church seal with a motto reading, “Sigillum Ecclesiae S. Marci Philada. 1848.” Saint Mark’s was founded in 1847 by a group of Philadelphians intent on following the spiritual principles of the Oxford Movement, a current within the Anglican Church that downplayed the Protestant character of the English church and emphasized the continued relevance of the Catholic tradition. Services were conducted using the Anglican Book of Common Prayer, for example, and the rectors of the parish always wore beautifully designed and decorated vestments. Notman’s neo-Gothic style was in keeping with the spiritual aspirations and traditions of the church. The maker of the print, originally part of a scrapbook and heavily damaged in the upper left hand corner, is unknown.

Last updated: January 8, 2018