Philadelphia Cemetery on the Passyunk Road


This lithograph from circa 1850 shows a view of the chapel at Philadelphia Cemetery (also referred to as New Philadelphia Cemetery), fronting on Passyunk Avenue between Twentieth and Twenty-second Streets. Pedestrians linger outside of the stone wall and carriage gate. Philadelphia Cemetery opened in 1828; the last burial there occurred in 1902. The bodies were removed to Arlington Cemetery in Drexel Hill circa 1915. The print was produced by Thomas S. Sinclair (circa 1805–81). Sinclair was born in the Orkney Islands of Scotland and was active in Philadelphia by 1833, where he soon had his own business and was one of the first local printmakers to experiment with color lithography. A practical lithographer throughout his career, Sinclair produced all genres of lithographs, including maps, advertisements, city and landscape views, sheet music covers, portraiture, political cartoons, certificates, and book illustrations.

Date Created

Subject Date

Publication Information

T. Sinclair's Lithography, Philadelphia


Title in Original Language

Philadelphia Cemetery. On the Passyunk Road

Type of Item

Physical Description

1 print : lithograph, tinted with one stone ; 40 x 56 centimeters


  • Digital catalog number: POS 576

Last updated: December 29, 2015