Warnick & Leibrandt's Philadelphia Stove Works and Hollow-Ware Foundry. First Wharf above Noble Street, Philadelphia
William H. Rease, born in Pennsylvania circa 1818, was the most prolific lithographer of advertising prints in Philadelphia during the 1840s and 1850s. This advertisement shows two views of the stove works and hollow-ware foundries owned and operated by Charles W. Warnick and Frederick Leibrandt. The upper scene depicts the stove works at Gunners Run (later the Aramingo Canal) and Franklin Avenue (later Girard Avenue). Viewed from the opposite bank of Gunner's Run, the scene shows laborers with horse-drawn carts and drays on the bank of the canal, in front of a complex of industrial buildings. In the foreground, laborers lift a large plank of wood, and men in groups of three move materials across the canal in rowboats. A sailing ship is docked at left and smaller vessels are on the canal. The bottom winter scene depicts the stove works looking northeast at the Noble Street Wharf (at the northeast corner of Beach and Noble Streets), showing horse-drawn traffic in the snow-covered street outside the company's large brick building. Also seen are horse-drawn sleds, a speeding horse-drawn sleigh carrying a family of four, Warnick & Leibrandt covered wagons (center), and children playing with a dog and sleds on North Beach Street in the foreground. Bare masts are visible on the Delaware River behind the company's building. The Noble Street Wharf site later became home to the Philadelphia Sugar House. Rease became active in his trade around 1844, and through the 1850s he mainly worked with printers Frederick Kuhl and Wagner & McGuigan in the production of advertising prints known for their portrayals of human details. Although Rease often collaborated with other lithographers, by 1850 he promoted in O'Brien's Business Directory his own establishment at 17 South Fifth Street, above Chestnut Street. In 1855 he relocated his establishment to the northeast corner of Fourth and Chestnut Streets (after a circa 1853−55 partnership with Francis Schell), where in addition to advertising prints he produced certificates, views, maps, and maritime prints.
Wagner & McGuigan?, Philadelphia
Title in Original Language
Warnick & Leibrandt's Philadelphia stove works and hollow-ware foundry. First wharf above Noble St. Philadelphia.
Type of Item
1 print : lithograph, tinted with one stone ; 73 x 59 centimeters
- Digital catalog number: POS 818
- Rease, William H., Philadelphia on Stone Biographical Dictionary, Library Company of Philadelphia, http://www.lcpdigital.org.
Last updated: September 2, 2015