William D. Rogers' Coach Manufactory. Sixth and Brown Streets, Philadelphia
This advertising print from 1847 shows a two-story factory on the 800 block of North Sixth Street near Spring Garden in Philadelphia. The building is adorned with signage reading: “Wm. D. Roger’s Coach Manufactory,” and “Rogers’ Coach Factory. 6th & Brown Sts.” A boy pulls a carriage out of one of the two entries to the building on Sixth Street as patrons inspect a different model of coach being pushed out the other door by a factory worker. A family walks between the coaches and other carriages are visible inside the building. Around the corner on Brown Street, two gentlemen converse on the sidewalk and a couple peers into a factory window. Near the rear of the factory, a hackney coach is displayed on top of a one-story addition. A laborer transports a sack on his back and passes near a strolling couple. In the street, a driver tries to reign in his speeding carriage, which is occupied by a couple, and is being chased by a barking dog. Nearby, a boy works on the wheel of a factory carriage. A pedestrian watches the scene from the corner. Hitching posts line the sidewalks, and a smaller factory with several smokestacks can be seen in the right background. William D. Rogers operated this factory at the site from 1846 to 1854. The lithograph was created by Alfred M. Hoffy, who was born circa 1790 in England and immigrated to the United States in the mid-1830s; the printer was Peter S. Duval, one of the most prominent lithographers and printers of his day.
P.S. Duval Lithography, Philadelphia
Type of Item
1 print : lithograph ; 22 x 40 centimeters
- Digital catalog number: POS 856
Last updated: October 30, 2015