Saint John's Church, Philadelphia
This print shows an exterior view of the Gothic-style Roman Catholic Church, Saint John the Evangelist, located at 23–25 South 13th Street in Philadelphia. The church opened for services in April 1832. The print shows parishioners walking up the steps of the building and two women conversing on the sidewalk. An iron fence protects the building. The print was originally published as plate 19 in Views of Philadelphia, and Its Vicinity, published by the firm J.C. Wild & J.B. Chevalier, Lithographers (Philadelphia, 1838). The lithographic stones for the views were acquired by John T. Bowen and reissued with hand coloring in 1838 and in 1848. John Caspar Wild (circa 1804–46) was a Swiss-born artist and lithographer who arrived in Philadelphia from Paris in 1832. He produced numerous prints and paintings of Philadelphia and other American cities. Bowen was a prominent Philadelphia lithographer and the most important mid 19th-century American publisher of publication plates. He was born in England circa 1801, immigrated to the United States in 1834, and worked as a colorist and lithographer in New York before relocating to Philadelphia. He took over the firm Wild & Chevalier, including the rights to Views of Philadelphia.
J.T. Bowen, Philadelphia
Title in Original Language
St. John's Church, Philadelphia
Type of Item
1 print : lithograph, hand-colored ; 17 x 13 centimeters
- Digital catalog number: POS 709.3
- “Bowen, John T.,” Philadelphia on Stone, Biographical Dictionary, Library Company of Philadelphia, http://www.lcpdigital.org.
- Philadelphia on Stone Biographical Dictionary of Lithographers, http://www.librarycompany.org/pos/posdictionary.htm.
- John Caspar Wild, Philadelphia on Stone Biographical Dictionary, Library Company of Philadelphia, http://www.lcpdigital.org.
Last updated: January 8, 2018