John Ziegler, Grocer. Northwest Corner of Callowhill and Water Streets, Philadelphia
This advertising print from 1847 shows the grocery shop operated by John Ziegler at the northwest corner of Callowhill and Water Streets in Philadelphia. A large sign on one side of the building reads “Groceries & Provisions. Sea Stores.” Sea stores were supplies acquired and stored before starting on a sea voyage, and would have been in great demand in a busy port such as Philadelphia. Workers, clerks, customers, and possibly the proprietor himself are seen on the sidewalk, the street, or inside the building. The print is by William H. Rease, the most prolific lithographer of advertising prints in Philadelphia during the 1840s and 1850s. Born in Pennsylvania circa 1818, Rease became active in his trade around 1844. Through the 1850s he mainly worked with printers Frederick Kuhl and Wagner & McGuigan in the production of advertising prints known for their portrayals of human details. Although Rease often collaborated with other lithographers, a listing in O'Brien's Business Directory indicates that by 1850 he had founded his own establishment at 17 South Fifth Street, north of Chestnut Street. After a partnership with Francis Schell that lasted from about 1853 to 1855, in 1855 he relocated his shop to the northeast corner of Fourth and Chestnut Streets, where, in addition to advertising prints, he produced certificates, views, maps, and maritime prints.
Type of Item
1 print : lithograph ; 38 x 33 centimeters
- Digital catalog number: POS 412
Last updated: January 8, 2018