Garden and Brown, Silk and Fur Hat Manufactory. 196 Market Street, Philadelphia
This advertising print from 1847 shows the hats and caps manufactory established by Christopher H. Garden & Brown located at 196 (later 532) Market Street, Philadelphia. On the ground floor is a retail shop selling “hats, caps, furs & trimmings.” The storefront is covered with signage and adorned with a large model hat marked with the street number "196." A patron enters one of the two open entryways of the business that are flanked by display cases of hats marked “Hats & Caps.” Garden established his hat manufactory in 1843 and partnered with William Brown circa 1846−50. The print is by William H. Rease, the most prolific lithographer of advertising prints in Philadelphia during the 1840s and 1850s. Born in Pennsylvania circa 1818, Rease became active in his trade around 1844. Through the 1850s he mainly worked with printers Frederick Kuhl and Wagner & McGuigan in the production of advertising prints known for their portrayals of human details. Although Rease often collaborated with other lithographers, a listing in O'Brien's Business Directory indicates that by 1850 he had founded his own establishment at 17 South Fifth Street, north of Chestnut Street. After a partnership with Francis Schell that lasted from about 1853 to 1855, in 1855 he relocated his shop to the northeast corner of Fourth and Chestnut Streets, where, in addition to advertising prints, he produced certificates, views, maps, and maritime prints.
Printed by Wagner & McGuigan, Philadelphia
Type of Item
1 print : lithograph ; 29 x 21 centimeters
- Digital catalog number: POS 291
Last updated: September 2, 2015