Joseph Feinour and Son Stove Store and Joseph Feinour's Tin, Copper Brass and Iron Ware-House. 213-215 South Front Street, Philadelphia


This advertising print from 1846 shows the stove store and tin, copper, brass, and iron manufactory of Joseph Feinour & Son and the adjacent Joseph Feinour's Tin, Copper Brass & Iron Ware House. These establishments were located at 213−15 (now 345−47) South Front Street, Philadelphia, circa 1828−60. In front of the warehouse a clerk assists a woman who is inspecting cauldrons, while inside another woman examines a pot at the counter. Stoves in various shapes and sizes are displayed on the sidewalk, while the window of the warehouse features smaller metal utensils, including kettles and pitchers. A patron and clerk enter through the back entrance of the store, which is crowded with stoves visible through the three open entryways. In front of the shop, various types and patterns of stoves, including a "Bath Heater" and one on which a laborer brushes polish, crowd an extended platform and the sidewalk and continue over to in front of the adjoining warehouse. The print is by William H. Rease, the most prolific lithographer of advertising prints in Philadelphia during the 1840s and 1850s. Born in Pennsylvania circa 1818, Rease became active in his trade around 1844. Through the 1850s he mainly worked with printers Frederick Kuhl and Wagner & McGuigan in the production of advertising prints known for their portrayals of human details. Although Rease often collaborated with other lithographers, a listing in O'Brien's Business Directory indicates that by 1850 he had founded his own establishment at 17 South Fifth Street, north of Chestnut Street. After a partnership with Francis Schell that lasted from about 1853 to 1855, in 1855 he relocated his shop to the northeast corner of Fourth and Chestnut Streets, where, in addition to advertising prints, he produced certificates, views, maps, and maritime prints.

Last updated: September 2, 2015