Jordan and Brother, Wholesale Grocers. Number 121 North Third Street, Philadelphia
This advertising print from 1846 shows the establishment of Jordan & Brother, wholesale grocers, located at 121 (now 209) North Third Street, Philadelphia. A worker carries a sack through the front door, while another descends the stairs to the basement from a cellar door opening on to the sidewalk in front of the building. In a side alley are seen a horse-drawn cart and a man holding the horse. As would befit a wholesale establishment, the building is plain, without the signs and display windows used to attract the retail customer. A fire-insurance marker is visible on the main building. There are partial views of neighboring buildings, including Conrad & Roberts hardware store. The print is by William H. Rease, the most prolific lithographer of advertising prints in Philadelphia during the 1840s and 1850s. Born in Pennsylvania circa 1818, Rease became active in his trade around 1844. Through the 1850s he mainly worked with printers Frederick Kuhl and Wagner & McGuigan in the production of advertising prints known for their portrayals of human details. Although Rease often collaborated with other lithographers, a listing in O'Brien's Business Directory indicates that by 1850 he had founded his own establishment at 17 South Fifth Street, north of Chestnut Street. After a partnership with Francis Schell that lasted from about 1853 to 1855, in 1855 he relocated his shop to the northeast corner of Fourth and Chestnut Streets, where, in addition to advertising prints, he produced certificates, views, maps, and maritime prints.
Printed by Wagner & McGuigan, Philadelphia
Type of Item
1 print : lithograph ; 52 x 33 centimeters
- Digital catalog number: POS 414
Last updated: January 8, 2018