John Horn, Drugs and Chemical Store. Northeast Corner of Third and Brown Streets, Philadelphia
This advertising print from 1846 shows the drugs and chemical store of John Horn, located at 801 North Third Street in Philadelphia, where he operated from 1829 to 1871. A large banner above the main entrances to the building reads "J. Horn Drugs & Chemical Store. City & county physicians can always be supplied with medicines & chemicals of the purest kind prepared with the greatest care from the latest French, English, German, & American journals." A customer is seen entering the establishment, while another looks at the wares displayed in the window. A horse-drawn cart stands in the cobble-stone street, while a worker unloads a barrel into the cellar storeroom. People are seen standing on the roof of the four-story building, enjoying the view from behind a railing. The print is by William H. Rease, the most prolific lithographer of advertising prints in Philadelphia during the 1840s and 1850s. Born in Pennsylvania circa 1818, Rease became active in his trade around 1844. Through the 1850s he mainly worked with printers Frederick Kuhl and Wagner & McGuigan in the production of advertising prints known for their portrayals of human details. Although Rease often collaborated with other lithographers, a listing in O'Brien's Business Directory indicates that by 1850 he had founded his own establishment at 17 South Fifth Street, north of Chestnut Street. After a partnership with Francis Schell that lasted from about 1853 to 1855, in 1855 he relocated his shop to the northeast corner of Fourth and Chestnut Streets, where, in addition to advertising prints, he produced certificates, views, maps, and maritime prints.
Wagner & McGuigan's Lithography, Philadelphia
Type of Item
1 print : lithograph ; 30 x 37 centimeters
- Digital catalog number: POS 411
Last updated: September 2, 2015