Charles Gilbert's Stove Manufactory, 249 North Second Street, Philadelphia
William H. Rease, born in Pennsylvania circa 1818, was the most prolific lithographer of advertising prints in Philadelphia during the 1840s and 1850s. This advertisement shows the Gilbert stove factory covered in signage in German and English on the 400 block of North Second Street. Patrons enter the storefront and a clerk, or possibly the proprietor, greets a patron at a second entrance. Stoves line the walls and are displayed at the entrances and in the shop windows. The appliances, of various styles, including a cooking stove with a tea kettle, also line the sidewalk. Laborers work at the upper-floor windows. The entrances are flanked by two stoves, atop which stand the figures of a man and a woman. The image shows partial views of the adjacent businesses, including P. McBride & Company, grocer (251) and Salon [sic] Walton (247), operated by Salem Walton. A signpost illustrated with a horse for the saloon bar, or tavern, stands in front of the building. Rease became active in his trade around 1844, and through the 1850s he mainly worked with printers Frederick Kuhl and Wagner & McGuigan in the production of advertising prints known for their portrayals of human details. Although Rease often collaborated with other lithographers, by 1850 he promoted in O'Brien's Business Directory his own establishment at 17 South Fifth Street, above Chestnut Street. In 1855 he relocated his establishment to the northeast corner of Fourth and Chestnut Streets (after a circa 1853−55 partnership with Francis Schell), where in addition to advertising prints he produced certificates, views, maps, and maritime prints.
Lithography of Wagner & McGuigan, Philadelphia
Type of Item
1 print : lithograph ; 39 x 31 centimeters
- Digital catalog number: POS 105
- Rease, William H., Philadelphia on Stone Biographical Dictionary, Library Company of Philadelphia, http://www.lcpdigital.org.
Last updated: January 8, 2018