A.L. Knight and Company's Patent Paper Machine Manufactory. Fifteenth and Willow Streets, Philadelphia
This lithograph from 1847 shows an exterior view of the three-story paper machine manufactory located on Fifteenth and Willow streets in Philadelphia. Signage on the side of the building sprawls across ten bays of windows and reads, "Knight's patent paper machine, manufactory." A smaller sign above the entrance reads, "A.L. Knight & Co." Three workers stand, one on every level of the building, as a man on the ground prepares a package to be hoisted from the sidewalk into the building. A gentleman stands in the entryway watching the workers, and another man guides a horse-drawn cart out of the enclosed yard of the manufactory. In a window on the first floor, a seated person can be seen writing. In the background, a partial view of industrial buildings is visible. Below the image is a block of text, including overprinted letterpress title in red ink; the image and text are surrounded by a blue border. A.L. Knight & Company was in business from 1843 to 1850. This lithograph was printed by the firm of Howell Evans, which promoted itself as the first "fast card press in the city.” At this time the press operated on the corner of Fourth and Chestnut streets in Philadelphia. In 1860, this press executed advertisements for the Philadelphia City Directory.
Type of Item
1 print : lithograph and color letterpress ; 70 x 55 centimeters
- Digital catalog number: POS 424
Last updated: December 29, 2015